Thursday, May 13, 2010

BOL Update!!! (Big-O-Long)

YAY! I am full term today! I know that may confuse some of you who are thinking "But your due date isn't till June 3rd!". I have news: after 37 weeks the baby's lungs have fully developed and if there aren't any further complications, they won't send her straight to the NICU like they would have if I had her last week! That's good news to me!
Dave and I are packed and ready to go any time now! I have officially started 'nesting' and cloroxed everything that would stand still yesterday, wiped the walls from at least 4 feet and down, cleaned the baseboards, dusted everything, and sterilized until I was pooped. I still have the bathrooms and a few more things to tackle. I knew that this happened later in the pregnancy, and somehow thought I would be the exception to avoid it but no. I woke up on my day off and had some strange superbug vision I didn't go to bed with; suddenly I could see every bacteria and dirt particle crawling all over everything! Moms are amazing! Part of this might be due to my term-ness, part might be due to the subconscious awareness that these 4 days of being off work are my last until I deliver (with I think 2 or 3 exceptions scattered here and there) because my schedule says I work and work and work, and it's not over till the fat lady screams! Example: I work the 1st and 2nd of June from 7-7 both days and then my due date is the 3rd. I know I sound crazy, but am I really supposed to be sitting at home thinking about it? Going over and over in my mind every impending detail? No way, distract the crap out of me and I'll face the music when it comes!
Speaking of all the gory details, I think I'd prefer to just skip the messy parts. I'm not talking about Labor itself exactly, I am just saying that I would be happy as a clam if I would just contract and then go to the hospital. I'd be just fine if I could skip the water breaking and any mucous (I don't want to see it, I don't want to know when it's out, I don't want to have anything to do with it!) I have been thinking: there's no great place other than the hospital for the water to break. At home, ew no, I don't want to clean it up. Perhaps I could be ok with it in the shower or toilet (contained is good, I think) and an easy wash off. Grocery store? NO. Oh at work could be funny as heck, but still ew. And I don't want to have to finish charting with a patient wristband and belly monitors on. Not a good time.
Some people experience a false breakeage of the waters called "maternal loss of urine", you guessed it, moms pee their pants. Now Dave has really put some good thinking into this and has decided that if I "lose" my urine in a patients room, I should simply pretend my water broke, and get out in the hall, change into the hospital scrubs, and quickly request an assignment switch with a savvy coworker who will tell the patient again that I am now in Labor and Delivery with my water broke. You never can think of the good things to do or say until after the event unless you are prepared. Thanks sweetie, if that happens I will do it! It seems better than fessing up to my patient that I just wet myself. Again, ew.
I know God's in control and all, but I wish we could put our 2 cents in about when would be a good time to schedule this shindig. I'm thinkin the 3rd (the due date) is right in the middle of Dave's Midterms and Finals, so not really a good time. If I go this week, Mom and Dad are still gone, not a good time. However, there is a long weekend between these events that would be great: If I had the baby Friday night before Memorial Day, we'd be set! That would be a good time. Oh well, it's out there. God knows the desires of my heart, its kind of out of my hands now.
Here's a good one: my nightmares. Let me background by saying that I refuse to deliver at the hospital in Rexburg. I work at EIRMC in Idaho Falls (30 minutes away) and WILL deliver there. So I keep having nightmares that 1) I delivery by my self in the car, 2) I have no epidural or pain control at all (of which I am a big fan) and 3) she comes out a HE! Ah NUTS! heehee. So I'm hoping thats just some big joke and that we won't really have to take our son home in a dress.
I haven't posted her name either, sorry: Alexis Paloma Hill. Paloma means Dove in Spanish, and we're hoping she will be a peaceful child. Why do I hear laughing in my head? That might end up the butt of jokes as the family asks how we slept at the camping trip. Yeah we know. Again, we are hoping, and we are also very aware that God has a sense of humor. At least her name isn't Paloma Grace. That really would be a set up. If this baby has been naughty and comes out a boy, the name is to be announced (as soon as we figure it out) and he will be grounded big time!
I would post maternity pictures for you, but they are on their way to me so I don't yet have them. In the meantime, you can visit photosbyjanese.com and see how fat I am. Thanks Auntie!
She did a great job. Except for the photo-op, I have attempted to keep this fatty out of the photo frame unless the need for editing is minimal. Wish I looked as good as Shawntel but I don't, sorry 'bout it.
Anyway, as the days get closer and the house cleaner, the husband and wife get scared-er! Every evening ends with an: "I can't believe we're about to be parents!" spoken by a wide-eyed one of us. We've so far enjoyed our quiet home (except our elephant heard of upstairs neighbors) and one of us (not it) has enjoyed his restful nights. Our world is about to take a flip and we are well aware of it. I guess we have no option, there's really no way to turn back now, or put her back once she comes, right? Yeah I didn't think so.
We're also getting excited to meet this little one. Its a bit strange that we've been more than connected at the hip and neither one of us knows what the other one looks like! She knows I'm kinda dark but pink sometimes, but other than that, I just taste funny to her. I can imagine she looks like us, but what features and what family traits she'll inherit we are clueless. Dave and I have a wide spread of physical family characteristics she could be: Brown, green, blue, grey, or hazel eyed. Brunette, blonde, or red. Pretty much her skin WILL be white, we know that much! Tannable? Thats questionable. Freckled? Perhaps. Iam assuming her ears will come from daddy. He's got unique ears that our nephews have inherited, I think they're cute, so I hope she does. Pretty much it looks like someone took their fingernail to the back of his earlobe, so there's a long curved crease. Dave won't know whats coming when everyone is checking out his ears from now on, hee hee hee!
I'm pretty anxious about my mom not being there. Growing up you have your ideas of what your wedding day will be like, etc. Well whenever I've thought of delivering my babies, I never ever ever assumed mom wouldn't be by my side. It just made sense, she's my mom, and she's a delivery nurse, and she's my best friend, so of course she'd be there. I guess I never factored in the fact that she might be in a different state, or maybe even a different continent as the case may be. Hmm. That might put a damper on things. She's kinda irreplaceable if you know what I mean. Love her. Luckily I should have my sweetheart by my side (I hope he's not in the middle of a final when I need to get ahold of him!). If he is, I've arranged a fast car with lights from the Chalmers- awesome people some of you might know. We had a bbq with Kent and Stacie last weekend and they said they'd rescue me if I needed it. Always good to have a back up plan.
So is this enough of an update for now? I told you I have a 4-day stretch of days off, so I told mom I'd update my blog for the first time in ages. I know, I am not so good at it, but you all know I am a busy woman, so don't expect these super frequently and just appreciate them when they come! Thanks for your love and especially your patience. No, especially your love, I need that more. We'll post again when we have pictures, either of the belly or the baby- we shall see!!! Wish us luck, and please keep us in your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! lets see... I hope you mom makes it back in time, we are praying for you, cleaning will help the baby come, and i would tell my doc. to induce me that weekend and why and see what they say lol;) your gonna do great and the messy stuff only lasts a sec. love ya!

    ReplyDelete